This PAL is a replacement for the version of the Whitestar decoder PAL used in the LotR LE pinball machine. It will not work with the regular code, so don't try it with version 10.00. The PAL is custom designed for software version 10.02: this version supports the memory map that the shaker code in 10.02 uses.
Also, thanks to Pinsder "dangerwil", there is a Stern update and ROM code that you might need if your game does random callouts:
If the PAL is incorrectly inserted, it will be destroyed. Please make sure that the notch is at the bottom of the chip, and all the pins are in the corresponding sockets. Look for legs hanging over the edge of the socket, or legs hanging over the end of the socket.
The Sound CPU Update Process
LotR shipped with version 3 of the sound operating system. You need to update it to version 8. To do this, you need a Bootflash ROM. This is a special ROM that can update the sound OS in the sound processor.
1) CAREFULLY remove original sound chip U7. This is an EPROM.
2) Replace it with the Bootflash 8 EPROM (checksum $8F2E)
3) Move jumpers J2, J3, J4 to the opposite positions.
4) Turn machine on. Wait until LED1 goes to continuous flashing, less than 5 mins.
5) Turn machine off.
6) Put J2, J3, J4 back where they were.
7) Repace U7 with your original sound chip.